You are gone tomorrow. What happens to the business you poured years of blood, sweat and countless sleepless nights into? Will your family take it over? Is there an outside buyer for the business? What income will your loved ones use to survive? These are questions the people you care about will ask if you do not take time to develop detailed, well communicated business succession planning.
- Communicate. A plan is no good is if no one knows it exists.
- Do not separate ownership and leadership.
- Trusts, buy/sell arrangements, leases, charitable planning, etc. are tools that can help resolve estate tax issues.
- Investing outside the business gives the owner choices at retirement or change of ownership.
- Focus on what people want and on what is fair.
Click HERE to read the full report.